Re: [aspectj-users] why do we need before-after?

In a way, yes. The behavior of before and after (returning/throwing)
advice can be mimicked using around advice.

However, if possible for performance reasons, it is better to use
before/after instead of around.  The compiler will try to convert
around advice into before/after if possible, but it will not always be
successful.

Also, it can just be easier to read an aspect if before/after advice
is used appropriately.