Re: [aspectj-users] binary weaving not working on some class files

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Simone Gianni <simoneg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David,
> I'm also facing these errors quite often. The problem is that it is
> trying to weave a class that does not have all the needed elements in
> the classpath. I can see that you have an ant task in your classpath, is
> ant also in your classpath?
>
> This happens quite frequently when weaving third party jars, cause quite
> often not all dependencies are present. For example, I encountered this
> error recently weaving OpenJPA : they have database dictionary classes
> that uses JDBC drivers inside, for example the MySqlDictionary uses
> classes from the MySql driver, the PostgresDictionary uses classes from
> the Postgres driver and so no. When AspectJ analyzes a class to
> determine if and where pointcuts apply, it needs to find all other
> classes used by that class. Obviously, since Iìm developing on MySql, i
> only had the MySql driver on the classpath, so all other OpenJPa
> dictionaries were failing the weaving process.
>
> This is in contrast with what happens when you USE the classes in a
> runtime environment. In that case Java will load classes only when
> needed, so a missing class used in a method you are never going to call
> is not a problem, but the weaver still needs to analyze also those
> methods, and cannot determine if you are going to call it or not.

Right, I understand the difference between aspectj and the JVM here.
But the puzzling thing is that a class, which does _not_ have any of
the classes it references missing, does not get woven! It was not
mentioned at all in the errors I posted, but still in the out/
directory it does not implement the Interface that I specified in the
aspect.

> As a quick resolution, try to put the relevant ANT classes on your
> classpath. Unfortunately I cannot with different versions of AspectJ
> working properly.

I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks,
~David