Re: [aspectj-users] debugging without stopping server

Yes, basically the feature I want is to capture the message/ error whilst system is still running. For instance, we have a legacy system based on rmi, which uses store procedure to perform insert, update, delete actions against database. The bitter problem I encountered is each time when there is an error, usually it only throws error like 'ORA-xxxx something goes wrong' with stack trace.  Even I have source and can see exactly what lines the code are at when error occurred, nothing I can do to solve the problem because I do not know what parameters passed in whilst execution (logs sometime just do not help too much and we can not modify the source code; or sometimes it is urgent, but we still can not shutdown the server.)  So if I am able to monitor the exactly value used whilst the system goes wrong, that definitively would help me a lot.

But due to I am new to AOP, the more document I read, the more confused I am. Originally I thought aspectj's load-time weaving is what I want. However, after reading some document, it seems like the load-time weaving is different from run-time/ online weaving (aspectwerkz) and dynamic AOP (JBoss AOP), which is the feature that aspectj does not support.  So I switch to learn aspectwerkz. Interestingly, in the mailing list, I saw someone says that since the aspectj and aspectwerkz are merged. Users should use aspectj 5 instead of using aspectwerkz for such feature.  I believe I might misunderstand something, but I can't distinguish based on my limited knowledge on AOP.   Would you or anyone please to give me a bit more explain about this?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you very much.