Re: [aspectj-users] generics problem: generated method not adviced (bug?)

In the first case, the generated compare method is a generics bridge method - which merely acts as a bridge from the (Object,Object) variant to your (String,String).  If you look at the bytecode for it, you will see it calls the other compare method.

AspectJ does not advise bridge methods, because they just delegate to the 'real' method.  If we did then in this case your advice would run twice if you called the Object,Object version.

In your second case you provided your own compare(Object,Object) method and so it was advised.

cheers,
Andy.