Re: [aspectj-users] Exception in thread "main"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Buck, Robert wrote:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
	at $AllProbeAspect.aspectOf(Unknown Source)
	at
com.verisign.common.properties.PropertyManager.getInstance(PropertyManag
er.java:81)
	at com.verisign.jtaps.test.Test.calc(Test.java:19)
	at com.verisign.jtaps.test.Test.main(Test.java:29)

Notice that there is no class name specified; when I trap all exceptions
in the debugger, what I see is a null error message, and the causation
member self-references the lexically enclosing exception instance, as if
somewhere someone did something evil like:

  NoClassDefFoundError error = new NoClassDefFoundError();
  error.initCause(error);
  throw error;

Could this be a cyclical class loading/initialisation error? It happens presumably during a singleton's first access, and I have seen similar errors when classes dynamically try to load each other e.g. in static initializers. All sorts of odd things can happen in these situations, and the missing enclosing class of $AllProbeAspect indicates something along these lines. Just an idea. Maybe you can disassemble the generated class file and see more that way.

Holger

Back to the top