[aspectj-users] after throwing question

Hi,

I'm trying to write a tracing aspect and would like to report any exceptions thrown as part of the logging format, but I can't find a way to express this in a generic fashion my after advice. Here is an example:

// methods annotated with @Tracing will be picked out by the tracing aspect
public class MyClass {

        @Tracing
        public void foo()         {
                // would like to log this exception
                throw new RuntimeException(e);
        }

}

public aspect Tracing {
        // all methods marked with @Tracing annotation
        pointcut traceableMethod(Tracing tracing) : execution(@Tracing * *(..)) && @annotation(tracing);

        // log exception information for all @Tracing annotated methods
        // don't want to hardcode throwing(RuntimeException) though
        after(Tracing tracing) throwing : traceableMethod(tracing) {
                // do log4j logging here
        }
}

I want to capture all types of exceptions that may be thrown, and not have to hardcode RuntimeException as in the example above. Is this possible in AspectJ?

Help appreciated
- Ashley Williams

---

Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.