[aspectj-users] Unable to debug my aspects when using iajc build task

I'm now working through debugging aspect advice, and I've got a problem:

First, for some reason (I've submitted a bug against the aspectJ IDE on this) I cannot use the aspectJ project nature on our large development project; rebuilds of the project wedge and require between 20 and forever minutes to proceed. If debugging aspects requires the aspectJ nature in the IDE, I'm hosed. I think it shouldn't, however.

I'm building the code using the aspectJ ant task 'iajc', in an aspectJ 1.5.3 distribution, using the following options:

      <iajc
	  destdir="${destdir}"
	  source="1.5"
	  debug="on"
	  deprecation="on"
	  verbose="false"
	  showWeaveInfo="false"
	  Xlintwarnings="true"
	  fork="false">

The compiler is compiling _all_ of our source code, not just aspects. It is replacing the <javac/> task in this case.

However, when I try to walk the code in my debugger (attach to remote JBoss instance, breakpoints on the aspect and inside the first method it calls) I cannot get the debugger to 'see' the aspect advice.

The aspect is written using annotations, if that makes a difference, instead of the aspectj language, mainly because of the problem I mentioned above about being unable to configure the project as an aspectj project.

So, how can I make the required debug information make it into the class and into my IDE?

--
Chris Rose
Developer    Planet Consulting Group

Back to the top