From: Santiago Aguiar <santi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:31:11 -0300
To: <aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users]java.lang.StackOverflowError atorg.aspectj.weaver.ReferenceType.isAssignableFrom(ReferenceType.java:292)

Hi Kevin!

No, its a completely standard Sun 1.5.0_09 VM ;), and I do agree with you about stack handling.

I had some trouble getting to the AspectJ source code (I don't understand why don't we get a source distribution when the binaries are released...), but I'm betting this problem is related to how AspectJ works with generic types.

And thinking about the memory issue, probably some entry in the weak hash map gets cleared when I have less memory as is garbage collected, but as I increase it, the entry is kept in memory and therefore the map still holds a valid reference.....

thanks!

saludos,

Kevin F wrote:
Re: [aspectj-users]java.lang.StackOverflowError atorg.aspectj.weaver.ReferenceType.isAssignableFrom(ReferenceType.java:292) Unless you’re talking about a really strange VM with which I am unfamiliar, the VM allocates the entire stack allocation size each time a thread is started.  No additional allocations take place for the stack itself; i.e., it will not grow.

I guess I am left wondering why type maps are being stored in a WeakHashMap instead of a strong one.

Just my 2 cents,
Kevin