Re: [aspectj-users] Frustrated Newbie

Title: Re: [aspectj-users] Frustrated Newbie
Now that I’ve been using AJ for a while, things are working great.  I guess I just had a bad installation initially. *shrug*  The suggestion to use annotation-based PCDs was awesome!  Thanks everyone for the help.

From: Dean Wampler <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:56:50 -0600
To: <aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] Frustrated Newbie

Kevin F wrote:
Re: [aspectj-users] Frustrated Newbie I’m definitely familiar with using interfaces for good measure, and I’m theoretically familiar with annotations; however, I don’t have real world project experience using annotations heavily.  Can you point me to a good example that combines AJ w/ annotations?  I can’t find any combination examples in Colyer et al.’s book from the Eclipse Series. AspectJ in Action looks pretty good.  Does anyone know if it does a better job combining these two features?  Or maybe some other source?

Both of those books are too early to cover Java 5 annotation support. The online AspectJ 5 manual has a complete discussion of how to write PCDs that match on annotations, etc. (Note, this manual is also in the Eclipse Help, once you've installed AJDT.)

I'm sure a number of people have written aspects that use annotation matching and you might google for them. One of those people happens to be me ;) My contract4j project is based exclusively on annotations (contract4j.org). You could look at the aspects inside to get some examples.

dean