[aspectj-users] AspectJ 1.5.3: java.lang.NullPointerException at org.aspectj.apache.bcel.generic.MethodGen

Hi everyone!

I'm getting a lot of null pointer exception while weaving my aspects using LTW (jdk 1.5.0-9, aspectj 1.5.3, on Linux):

debug weaving 'uy.com.netlabs.dsmpp.output.fragmentation.SMPPFragmentationStrategy'
abort trouble in:
uy.com.netlabs.dsmpp.output.fragmentation.SMPPFragmentationStrategy -- (NullPointerException) null
null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.aspectj.apache.bcel.generic.MethodGen.<init>(MethodGen.java:305)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.LazyMethodGen.initialize(LazyMethodGen.java:295)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.LazyMethodGen.markAsChanged(LazyMethodGen.java:502)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.LazyMethodGen.getBody(LazyMethodGen.java:900)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelShadow.makeShadowForMethod(BcelShadow.java:738)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelShadow.makeMethodExecution(BcelShadow.java:730)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelShadow.makeMethodExecution(BcelShadow.java:701)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelClassWeaver.match(BcelClassWeaver.java:2311)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelClassWeaver.weave(BcelClassWeaver.java:494)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelClassWeaver.weave(BcelClassWeaver.java:119)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelWeaver.weave(BcelWeaver.java:1612)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelWeaver.weaveWithoutDump(BcelWeaver.java:1563)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelWeaver.weaveAndNotify(BcelWeaver.java:1341)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelWeaver.weave(BcelWeaver.java:1161)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.tools.WeavingAdaptor.getWovenBytes(WeavingAdaptor.java:353)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.tools.WeavingAdaptor.weaveClass(WeavingAdaptor.java:260)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.loadtime.Aj.preProcess(Aj.java:78)
        at org.aspectj.weaver.loadtime.ClassPreProcessorAgentAdapter.transform(ClassPreProcessorAgentAdapter.java:55)
        at sun.instrument.TransformerManager.transform(TransformerManager.java:122)
        at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.transform(InstrumentationImpl.java:155)

I get this error at *many* points on different classes. Code seems to run nonetheless and aspects seems to be working. The error is thrown when executing my code from a profiler (JProbe 6.0.2, which, I admit, probably breaks something).

I'm starting to look at aspects with a different eyes... this issue, plus the StackOverflow on org.aspectj.weaver.ReferenceType.isAssignableFrom I have while running some test cases from ant (but no when I'm running the system or profiling it), plus a   java.lang.VerifyError: Unable to pop operan when not using -XnoInline... plus multitude of other problems (not getting the StackOverflow if I put -verbose, getting the same error but on different parts depending if I'm using 1.5 or 1.5.3, etc.) are undermining my trust on AspectJ and I'm starting to feel that I'm using something that shouldn't be used in reliable production code..... are you people using AspectJ on production systems, right? I love the aspects idea, I think is terribly powerful, but I don't want to put things in my code that do not work or behave in some unpredictable forms depending on how they are executed. I feel I need a little reassurance or I will have to take the pragmatic choice and dump aspectj altogether....

thanks!

--
santiago aguiar
netlabs
Palmar 2548
Montevideo, Uruguay
Tel. +(598 2) 707 7687
Fax. +(598 2) 709 4866
http://www.netlabs.com.uy
begin:vcard
fn:Santiago Aguiar
n:Aguiar;Santiago
org:;Desarrollo
adr:;;Palmar 2548;Montevideo;Montevideo;11600;Uruguay
email;internet:saguiar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:NetLabs
tel;work:+598 2 7077687
tel;fax:+598 2 7094866