[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[aspectj-users] Soot and abc to move to Java 5
- From: "Eric Bodden" <eric.bodden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:04:10 -0500
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:x-google-sender-auth; b=px7O1Gg5bv4OZdpnRGqgeo2xj0yyc7sDXdriIu+2Qb1Wxhycn6GKlM8aHFf6hPDAGffqkdXk8M1LBs3Wv2CJ+7YFX95A5u/yt03TnDx0hUDPtB19UWlFCLf7UzF6byqqbYGOYun0/7jddju10f1SLnGWP5HwHzNFlBqDSWE8RtI=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:x-google-sender-auth; b=CBoHl8smjb1c3E7peJ5MIpTqIXjMxy0G8iq/VnlGGEpontqLJpSh3aZxQNYHEV9gAy2O7b2M8wJmedoetSbMD21aPRlZHz0rQ3b+yVTfh/sdmM7NZtSSxqlBCZsy0DvJmIEA4SxXrVW75cFsRjAiZAJWsuSrDEejfGQPipAgnw8=
Dear abc extenders and users.
We are planning to move Soot (and hence also abc, the AspectBench
Compiler) to a Java 5 compilation level quite soon. This email is to
give you a chance to express any doubts you might have about this
process. The change will have the following implications.
- Soot and abc will not run with any Java 5 or higher JVM
- Soot and abc will need to be compiled with a Java 5 or higher JDK
- any extension written to Soot and abc which is to be distributed
with those new versions of Soot and abc needs to be compiled and run
with a Java 5 or higher JRK/JVM
- the same holds for extensions of those extensions
- however, all those extensions, in particular new ones will be able
to use all Java 5 features after the change
So as you can see, this affects the entire transitive closure of our
development process. Hence, to us it is important that everybody is
aware of the implications. If you have any doubts or concerns about
this, please let us know!
In any way, we will branch off a Java 1.4 compatible maintenance
branch (which probably won't really be maintained though) and probably
we will also put out a new release before the change.
Sable Research Group
McGill University, Montréal, Canada