Re: [aspectj-users] Q about "adviceexecution" and "declare error"

On 2/22/07, Matthew Webster <matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Eric,

I was aware of the work on open modules but have not read the papers you refer to. Perhaps I should. However I do not believe any new controls are necessary because Java in conjunction with a runtime modularity framework like OSGi already provides sufficient mechanisms. This is why I am working on AOSGi (http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/incubator/aspects/).

Oh, sounds interesting. I will have a look at it.

>I know whole research communities which believe that not being able to
 >guarantee any sort of encapsulation by far the largest problem of
 >AspectJ.
I not believe AspectJ breaks encapsulation any more than Java reflection.

Well, that might be true but a lot of people would say that reflection
is bad style for almost everything but a few distinct use cases, too.
If you want to give static guarantees, it's just painful and that's
what many people are worried about.

Eric

--
Eric Bodden