Re: [aspectj-users] Is it possible to add a method in one project and use it from a higher up project?

Nick,

I assume that you are using ITDs for you pretty print methods. Although these are implemented by you aspect they need to be forwarding methods in each target type. These do not appear in source code and hence have no line numbers which is why you get taken to the first line of the class when stepping in to the method. If you step again you should be taken to the aspect. It would be better to have a more ITD-aware debugger but we face the same extensibility problems as with the Java editor.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Nicholas Allen <nick.allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

21/01/2007 23:34

Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

Matt Chapman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The issue with the editor is covered in the FAQ:
> http://www.eclipse.org/ajdt/faq.php#q:errors
> Basically we can't change the behaviour of the Java editor, but you
> can use the AspectJ editor instead.

Thanks for the tip! Very helpful ;-)

> Debugging should work ok except that if you're using "around" advice
> you need to set the "no-inline" compiler option:
> http://www.eclipse.org/ajdt/faq.php#q:breakpoints

Breakpoints seem to work but what I have trouble with is stepping into a
method that is inserted into a class by an aspect. If I set a breakpoint
in the aspect at the method there is no problem.

Nick