RE: [aspectj-users] Custom JoinPoints

Ron,

I suggested that the _signatures_ of the JPSPs should be considered equal not the JPSPs themselves.

JSPS are transient singletons, a bit like the java.lang.reflect.* classes, and so not appropriate for serialization. A custom factory would allow you to create ones that are serializable. You are free to create your own implementations of the relevant interfaces.

While you can distinguish between the two join points using the runtime where you can't with pointcuts I would still caution any reliance on this meta-data. Changes to ajc will be of little value as the majority of Java code is compiled by other compilers. I think you are essentially exploiting an artifact of the runtime rather than something intentional in the AspectJ join point model.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

"Ron Bodkin" <rbodkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

20/10/2006 17:21

Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

<aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [aspectj-users] Custom JoinPoints

Hi Matthew,

1. I agree with you that there are two distinct join point static part instances.

2. However, I do not believe they should be equals either. I think it’s valuable to be able to track the two join point static parts separately say in a hash map to record the distinct timings for the distinct join points. Moreover it would be nice if you could serialize and deserialize the static parts and have thisJoinPointStaticPart in one execution be equals to the deserialized value that was stored in a previous one. That’s how I’d like equals to work and a use case that I see as valuable.

3. I agree you can’t advise one of them without advising the other but nonetheless they are distinct join point static parts, and I don’t see them as equal. I don’t think that two join points that will always match the same advice should be viewed as equal. E.g., it’s still useful to know that one of them takes say 99% of the time and the other 1% even if you don’t have the source location information to distinguish them. Again consider a profiling scenario: it’s useful to know that of the six calls in this method one took 75% so you can investigate further. I agree that you can’t rely having on source location (even line number) but we should provide as much information as possible (e.g., by adding an attribute when compiling sources with ajc) and the equals model ought to be consistent with how it would behave if you did. It would be very unfortunate if the semantics of equals varied depending on what level of debug information was included, and worse if the solution were to ignore source location altogether in considering equals. If static parts had an equals method like this then it will require use of identity maps to distinguish them when dealing with call join points. In my view that would be unfortunate.

Let me ask it another way, is there a use case where having these two static parts be considered equals is valuable?

One other thought, what is a reasonable way of handling a persistent map from static parts to data, so that you can update information about the static part across runs? If the exact same program runs, hopefully you could use hash codes for the static parts. But if the program changes, what kind of changes would (and should) give rise to new hash codes?