RE: [aspectj-users] Custom JoinPoints

Savita,

>I am sure
>if Aspectwerkz allowed it and aspectbench allows it, there are already
>compelling usecases for having done that in these products.

From a quick read of the links provided it seem the motivation for providing custom join points in abc and aspectWerkz is a little different from yours. The example in the abc paper concerns the provision of a new join point (for which most of the hard work is in the compiler) while the aspectWerkz mechanism allows proceeding on around advice with a different target, something you can do in AspectJ without custom JoinPoint instances. Remember that the runtime library is a shared resource and changing it may affect other programs that use it. If you look at the enhancement that Ron mentions you will see that we have gone to great lengths in the design to ensure isolation between aspects (that may be written by different people). It is concerns about the efficiency of such a design that have delayed its implementation.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

"Chandan, Savita" <Savita.Chandan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

28/09/2006 07:37

Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

<wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [aspectj-users] Custom JoinPoints

Of course you are right, I should be able to do add the functionality to
AspectJ, that is something that is under our control. I will also create
a case for letting users create custom JoinPoints in AspectJ. Iam sure