Re: [aspectj-users] what for args pointcut designator?

this(), args(), and target() allow you to bind variables in a type-safe way and to do runtime tests.

E.g., for

    void put(Object key, Object value)

you might want to pick out only join points with keys of type foo:

    execution(void put(Object, Object)) && args(Foo, Object)

If you were to do something with it (e.g., put Foo in a wrapper with a better hashcode), then you'd want to bind the variable.  Without binding (i.e., using reflection) you only get Object, which makes for a lot of runtime ClassCastException.

Wes