[aspectj-users] Should I use code- or annotation-style aspects?

All,

In startup of the project I'm currently working on we have decided to
use load-time woven AspectJ aspects. Since none of us have worked with
AspectJ before we are debating whether we should use code-style or
annotation-style aspects. I have tried both ways and they work fine in
our environment (AspectJ 1.5.1a, Eclipse AJDT 1.3.1, Java 5, Tomcat
5.5.12).
BUT which style do you reckon is better in the following cases:
a) Maintainability - once we hand the application over to the
maintenance team (which currently have no experience of AspectJ, nor
code-style nor annotation-style). I.e. is one style easier to
understand/learn and maintain than the other.
b) "Future proof" - will either code- or annotation-style be the
industry standard (your gut feeling). Or will they live in perfect
harmony?
c) Drawbacks - which are the drawbacks using annotation-style over
code-style spoken of in the AspectJ FAQ, http://www.eclipse.
org/aspectj/doc/released/faq.html#q:codeversusannotationstyles

many thanks
-Martin Börlin

Back to the top