RE: [aspectj-users] Capturing join points in third party products

Doug,

You might try using some Xlint option to handle missing types, to see if the compiler gets any further. I wrote a blog entry about this approach here: http://rbodkin.blogs.com/ron_bodkins_blog/2005/12/a_hidden_treasu.html  This might be the cause of your problem, although it might also be you’ve hit a bug…

I would also suggest you try doing something really simple like compiling a system.out.println tracing aspect on method executions or declare warning on the same, just to see if you can get the basic weaving working with the top link jar you are working on

From: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of doug.gschwind@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:40 PM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aspectj-users] Capturing join points in third party products

Hello AspectJ subscribers,

I am attempting to introduce advice when certain method calls of a third party product are invoked and obtain access to the value returned from those certain methods. My interpretation of reading the AspectJ cookbook (first edition) is that I should follow the instructions present in section 2.4, Weaving aspects into Jars. My motive here is that the aspect I have introduced to capture these method calls is giving me adviceDidNotMatch Xlint warnings at compile time and I can see my intended advice NOT being hooked at runtime.

So, I figured this was due to the third party jar needing to be dealt with in a different way than capturing method calls on one's own codebase. Thus, section 2.4 suggests the use of -inpath at compile time to indicate the .jar file to be dealt with. I was also going to try the -outjar option to capture the results of that compilation and use that resulting .jar at runtime.

Has anyone faced this issue with AspectJ 1.5.1_a and dealt with it differently and had success?

Thanks,

Doug

Back to the top