[aspectj-users] Re: Using aspects on Swing classes?

The regular system classes will take precedence, unless you explicitly add the woven jar file to the front of the bootclasspath.

Regards,

Matt.

Kevin A. Roll wrote:
Hello all... I am very new to aspect-oriented programming, so forgive my simple questions. I'm interesting in applying aspects to base Java classes... in this particular case I want to modify the painting behavior of Swing components. I've written a basic aspect like this:

aspect ComponentSupport
{
pointcut paint(Graphics g): execution(void paintComponent(Graphics)) && args(g);

    void around(Graphics g): paint(g)
    {
}
}

In this case I am theoretically intercepting any calls to paintComponent() and doing nothing, so I should see nothing on my GUI. However, everything looks the same. This is the latest in a long series of test aspects I've written; I can't seem to alter any painting behavior. Am I doing something wrong with my pointcut?

The second question concerns how to build this stuff. I put the standard jar as the inpath:

        <iajc
            sourceRoots="build/src:src"
        destdir="build/classes"
        debug="on"
        source="1.5"
        target="1.5"
        classpathref="project.classpath"
inPath="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/classes.jar" aspectPath="${project_base}/ThirdPartyLibraries/trunk/lib/com.e-nspire.gemini-1.0.jar;${anaglyph}/trunk/build/lib/anaglyph.jar"
        fork="yes"
        maxmem="1024m"

        </iajc>

I'm building on a Mac, which explains the unusual location of the standard classes. The aspect shown above is in the anaglyph.jar. When I run this the compiler regenerates every single class in the Java runtime into the output directory, even though only a small number of classes should be affected by my aspect. I end up with a huge jar file which essentially duplicates the runtime jar plus my application. I hope that when I run my modified classes are overriding the base library, although I'm not sure which ones will take precedence...

Thanks in advance!

Back to the top