RE: (RESOLVED?) RE: [aspectj-users] Important aspects of JDK1.4weaving

Hi Bo,

Alex’s instructions worked perfectly for us at Glassbox. I was going to point you at them. We created a self-contained jar that creates the adapter instead of using ant, but the technique works really well.

The other approach that’s worth considering is writing a small ClassLoader plug-in for WebLogic. Indeed, Sam Pullara and Cedric Beust did this for older versions of WebLogic and AspectJ… I’ve looked at doing that too (just as I did for WebSphere) and it looks fairly straightforward, but thus far we’ve been able to avoid needing to write this.

From: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bo Zimmerman
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:02 PM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: (RESOLVED?) RE: [aspectj-users] Important aspects of JDK1.4weaving

Hello Mathew,

JRockit works great, as we both probably know.  And it works fine in app servers like WebLogic.  However, sometimes JRockit isn't really an option, and I'm trying to find a way to cover it.   I suppose I could just switch WebLogic to use JRockIt.  It's not a trivial thing, since BEA tends to disperse this particular "settting" out to the several node-servers, instead of putting the option in a central place.  It's doable, just not very preferable.

I found an article on the net dealing with weaving with Java 1.3 (and presumably 1.4) by using aspectj on top of the old aspectwerkz libraries.  It's so old (almost a year), however, that it's necessity and/or relevance seemed questionable.  Here:

http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/avasseur/archives/001140_aspectj_5_load_time_weaving_with_java_13_using_aspectwerkz.html

Is this something you'd recommend trying?  Do you know anything about this method.

Thanks so much for your replies... they've been absolutely invaluable.

- Bo