Re: "Humane Pointcut Languages" [Was: Re: [aspectj-users] AW:Pointcuton a constructor with a custom @Annotation]

I have to admit that Dean's proposal looks appealing. Pre-aspectj 5, I could easily parse 90% of PCDs. With the addition of annotations, it's become much more difficult to ascertain what patterns and modifiers apply to what part of the pointcut. For some PCDs, it's simple, for other's it's become much much harder. Note that one of the number-one complaints about AspectJ I hear from new users is the density of the poincut language.

Nick

On 4/20/06, Dean Wampler <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gregor Kiczales wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> Reminds me of http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/CSAML.html

Ouch! ;)
> More productively, I think the concision of the pointcut language is a plus;
> but I can imagine some nice tool support that you could hover the mouse over
> and see an elaboration of the pointcut.

I believe Adrian wrote such a tool, as an experiment (?).

I vacillate on this point, I'll admit. I've been doing some Ruby
programming recently and it's given me a fresh perspective after having
been in the Java "sphere" for so long. Rubyists are really into DSLs,
because Ruby facilitates some limited, but useful, DSL capabilities (not
to the extent of languages like Lisp or Meta Programming Systems, e.g.,
http://www.sergeydmitriev.com/blog/archives/2005/06/early_access_to.html ,
etc., but I digress...). Another influence for me are APIs like mocking
libraries.  Consider this example adapted from a unit test on a recent
Ruby project (names changed to protect the innocent...):

        FlexMock.use('foo') do | foo |         # create a mock object
and pass it as "foo" to a block

foo.should_receive(:password=).with("password").and_return(nil).once   #
here's the first line of the block...
            foo.should_receive(:user=).with("user").and_return(nil).once
            foo.should_receive(:do_something).with("-se",
"#{arg1}").and_return(expected_results).once
            foo.should_receive(:logout)
        end

The mock is told what calls to value assignment methods (e.g., "user=")
and other method calls to expect. If it doesn't get them, the test will
fail later on. JMock syntax is very similar. While verbose, the fact
that it much like regular English is appealing because it's
self-documenting and straightforward to comprehend.

So here's what a similar "humane DSL" could look like for our example
pointcut:

pointcut ctorCallInAnnotatedClass (Object obj):

call(constructors().takingAnyArgs().inClassesAnnotatedWith(MyAnnotation.class))
&& bindNewlyConstructedObjectTo(obj);

I made this up on the fly. Certainly it could be improved. Of course the
expert might get sick of all this typing and prefer the terse syntax.
The self-documenting quality is a real advantage for real-world
projects, both to minimize the need for support documentation (there is
little need to write a comment explaining this pointcut) and to make it
easier for other team members and AOP neophytes to comprehend the code.
Again, most code is write once, read many...

Actually, the main reason I've been thinking about this lately is not so
much to solve the terseness issue in our current example, but to think
about higher-level AOP abstractions. It bothers me that we talk about
Security as an aspect (for example), then turn around and write PCDs
that reference specific join points in specific classes, methods, etc.
in our applications. We're mixing levels of abstraction and that causes
many of the practical issues people wrestle with, IMHO.

Of course, the recent work on interface-based AOP is a huge step
forward. I think it would help us a lot to be able to write our PCDs and
maybe the AO interfaces themselves in appropriate DSLs, if not DSLs for
the concern domains (e.g., security), then at least a DSL that's more
natural for "cross-cutting concerns", in general.

dean