Re: [aspectj-users] (no subject)

This works due to the "implicit scoping" associated with aspect instantiation models. When you have a perthis(somepc()) aspect, then an aspect instance is created for each unique object bound to "this" at join points matched by somepc(). Once the aspect instance has been created, every advice declaration has an implicit condition 'and-ed' to its pointcut clause. The implicit condition for the different instantiation models is as follows:

* perthis  ->  '&& this(the-this-object)'
* pertarget -> '&& target(the-target-object)'
* percflow -> '&& cflow(the-cflow-initiating-join-point)'
* percflowbelow -> '&& cflowbelow(the-cflowbelow-initiating-join-point)'
* pertypewithin -> '&& within(the-type)

So for any given aspect instance, readLockMethods() only matches read lock methods on the advised instance, and writeLockMethods only matches writeLockMethods on the advised instance too. Therefore you won't get 'crossover' between advised instances whereby calls from one object to another cause inappropriate lock release.

This is documented in the programming guide here: http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/released/progguide/semantics-aspects.html#aspect-instantiation , and also in the Eclipse AspectJ book (see eg. table 9.1 in chapter 9).

Regards, Adrian.