RE: [aspectj-users] Execution pointcut semantics

Title: Message

I believe it actually has to do with a change in the Java VM semantics. I believe if you try this with AspectJ 5 on Java 1.3 or earlier (and probably with –target 1.3 too) you will reproduce the results in the paper.

See http://aosd.net/pipermail/discuss_aosd.net/2005-January/001324.html for a discussion about this from 14 months ago

From: aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon S. Baekken
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 12:19 PM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aspectj-users] Execution pointcut semantics

Thanks, that was useful reading.

I tried the same code examples as in the paper with AspectJ 1.5, and got the same results except for one case. The paper says that "[..] the pointcut call(void A3.g()) does not capture any join points in our example, not even s3.g()!" (page 2) and concludes from this that it is necessary for the method to be lexically defined within the specified class - inheritance is not enough. But when I tried this pointcut it did indeed match the call s3.g(). I don't know the reason for this, maybe a change in the semantics at some point in time...?

Jon