RE: [aspectj-users] Logging Exceptions

Here is an example of logging exceptions that are thrown from methods that
exit via exceptions or are handled. This aspect uses a weak hash set to log
a throwable only the first time it is encountered:

public aspect RecordFirstExceptions {
   public pointcut scope() : within(com.xxx..*);

   public pointcut publicMethodExec() :
       execution(public * *(..)) || execution(public new(..));

   after() throwing (Throwable t) : publicExec() && scope() {
       recordThrowable(t, thisJoinPointStaticPart,
thisEnclosingJoinPointStaticPart);
    }

    before(Throwable t) : handler(*) && args(t) && scope() {
        recordThrowable(t, thisJoinPointStaticPart,
thisEnclosingJoinPointStaticPart);
    }

    protected synchronized void recordThrowable(Throwable throwable,
StaticPart location, StaticPart enclosing) {
        // only record values once
        if (!throwablesRecorded.contains(throwable)) {
            throwablesRecorded.put(throwable);
            // log as desired
        }
    }

    private Set throwablesRecorded = new WeakHashSet();
}