Re: [aspectj-users] Webapp development and AJ

Hello,

> When AJDT picks up a new AspectJ build, it will have
> much reduced memory use (and I believe it will fix the old leaks that might
> cause crashing)...

I am not sure how to read this: newer AJDT builds are better in what
regards memory usage? Is this only available to builds for 3.2, or
should it be the same for 3.1 too?

AJDT has only just *this afternoon* picked up the new AspectJ builds with
greatly improved memory management - the first builds to include it
will be for eclipse 3.1.  When the dust has settled (24hours) and it proves
to us that it basically works, we will put it into AJDT builds for 3.2.

Re this comment:
> Re: hot deploy, I would really like for AspectJ to improve the stability of
> generated method names. Does it even guarantee that compiling the same
> sources in a different order would produce the same bytecode output? In the
> same order?

I'm not sure how we can improve it further? You can change the body of an
advice or add/remove methods/fields from a type and the generated names will
be the same.  If you change the pointcut or the order of advice within a file
then the name will change - and it is now different enough that it would likely
require recompilation of code being affected by it.  We have to guarantee
this so that simple changes to the aspect (perhaps building a new version
of your aspect library with one slight change to an advice body) doesn't
require all code dependent on your aspect to be rebuilt.

The same sources compiled in different order will produce the same output
99.99% of the time - within the rules about application of advice ordering
being undefined if there is no precedence set.

andy

Back to the top