Re: [aspectj-users] Gentle introduction to Load-time weaving

Matthew,

> In particular we need to warn them against using -XnoWeave.
-XnoWeave was just deprecated in devguide ajc.xml,1.20, for the next release.

I also added a note in ltw.xml,1.9 saying that if aspects are required for classes
to compile, then compile-time weaving is the only option.  A longer discussion
along the lines you suggest ("Here's how to move from compile- to load-time weaving")
is probably warranted.   (For those who want to look now, information is scattered
through the docs and the developerWorks AOP@Work articles by me, Adrian,
Ron, and Matt -- if not also various blog entries linked from the AspectJ home page.)

Wes

From: Matthew Webster <matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, Mar-3-2006 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] Gentle introduction to Load-time weaving

Adrian,

This shows how easy it is to use LTW when you are using concrete library aspects which of course is the subject of your blog entry. One thing our users seem to be struggling with however is making the transition from compile- to load-time weaving in their existing projects. In particular we need to warn them against using -XnoWeave.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx

http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Please respond to aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:        aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

To:        aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc:

FYI, I posted a gentle introduction to using an aspect library with
load-time weaving from inside Eclipse and IDEA here
http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blogs/adrian/2006/02/a_practical_gui_2.html.
It uses Spring as the sample aspect library, but the techniques apply
to any use of LTW. Towards the end of the piece are some useful tips
for controlling the weaving process with aop.xml.

Figured it might be useful to one or more of the readers of this list...

-- Adrian
adrian.colyer@xxxxxxxxx