Re: [aspectj-users] Pls. read AspectJ documentation

Hi!

Good reminder Wes and I am totally agreeing with you (even if I am doing sometimes the mistake to forget to recheck the documentation).

As I pointed from time to time on the ml, I would really like to have the documentation in pdf format (so that I can search it locally). afaik the AJ documentation is done through docbook, so I guess this would not be extremely difficult to have.

what do you think?

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

#: Wes Isberg changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  11/21/2005 9:17 PM :#
Hi all -

(Please permit me to lecture a bit.)

This is just a reminder to please read the AspectJ docs, to save yourself
time and confusion with AspectJ, if you haven't already. Many emails to the list could be solved with a cursory search of the docs, and more would be solved with a careful reading. More important than email/support traffic, it's pointless for people to struggle unnecessarily to figure out why the code "isn't working" when the docs can clear things up. A programming language is not like a user interface, where playing with it is enough to become productive.

At a minimum, everyone should carefully read the semantics appendix
to the AspectJ Programming Guide and all entries in the FAQ:

  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/released/progguide/semantics.html
  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/next/faq.html

For documentation for the next release (currently AspectJ 5), see

  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/next

To search the docs easily, use Google or your favorite search engine, scoped to the doc site:

e.g., to search for "infinite" anywhere in the released docs,

infinite site:http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/released
i.e.,
http://www.google.com/search?q=infinite+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.eclipse.org%2Faspectj%2Fdoc%2Freleased

If you have questions not answered by the docs (or you can't find where it is answered), please email the list or submit a doc bug.
It's likely someone else has the same problem, and we can solve it
in the documentation.

Some useful link farms to bookmark:

  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/docs.php
  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/released
  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/next

Thanks for listening, and happy coding -

Wes