Re: [aspectj-users] @AJ or conventional syntax?

Alex,

There are several things to consider. Firstly @AJ can only be used with Java 5. AspectJ supports environments as far back as JDK 1.1 which is needed for J2ME. Also because of the huge number of changes in Java 5 it will be a long time before all platforms catch up. Secondly there is personal preference. I would suggest most people in the AspectJ community, and especially those who have been using it for a long time, are more comfortable using the code-based style. An OO language like Java treats classes as first-class entities in the language and AspectJ does the same for aspects. However it is recognized that not everyone wants to use an IDE like Eclipse which gives the best support for the code-style. Finally there are certain language features that are not available using @AJ. For example privileged aspects cannot be defined using that style. There are also some restrictions with using inter-type declarations.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx

http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Please respond to aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:        aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx