Re: [aspectj-users] Question about logging:

Ranjith,

We often make a distinction between tracing and logging based on the (not necessarily valid) ability to separate one but not the other using an aspect. Tracing is used to record information at well defined points during program execution such as method entry/exit while logging tends to require knowledge of the program and tends to be rather ad hoc. Of course all significant changes to program state and flow involve a join point which can be advised as Dean illustrates. One approach I have explored is to use explicit calls for ad hoc logging such as info and debug but use inversion of  control and an aspect to supply the implementation of the methods. The same pertypewithin aspect could also implement entry/exit trace for the same classes.

public class Test {

        private static TracingService log;

        public static void setTracingService (TracingService service) {
                log = service;
        }

        public  void increment(){

                int i=0;

                log.info(" About to increase the value of i");

                i=i+1;

                if(i==1){

                        log.info(" Value of i is 1 ");

                }
        }

                new Test().increment();
        }
}

import java.lang.reflect.Method;
import java.util.logging.*;

public aspect Tracing implements TracingService pertypewithin(Test) {

        private Logger logger;

        before () : staticinitialization(*) {
                Class clazz = thisJoinPointStaticPart.getSignature().getDeclaringType();
                logger = Logger.getLogger(clazz.getName());

                try {
                        Class[] parameterTypes = new Class[] { TracingService.class };
                        Method setter = clazz.getDeclaredMethod("setTracingService",parameterTypes);
                        setter.invoke(null,new Object[] {this});
                }
                catch (Exception ex) {
                        ex.printStackTrace();
                }
        }

        public void debug(String string) {
        }

        public void event(String string) {
        }

        public void info (String string) {
                logger.info(string);
        }

        public void warning(String string) {
        }

}

public interface TracingService {

        public void debug (String string);

        public void event (String string);

        public void info (String string);

        public void warning (String string);

}

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx

http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Please respond to aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:        aspectj-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx