[aspectj-users] Implementing abstract pointcut that includes no joinpoints

I have an abstract aspect that declares a couple of abstract pointcuts to be overridden in concrete subclasses.

In a particular subclass, however I want to nullify one of those pointcuts; include no joinpoints at all.

Is there a common idiom for implementing a concrete pointcut that explicitly includes no joinpoints?

I know I can nullify with && if(false), but it smells funny to declare any advice type at all if really none applies.

Eg:

protected overriddenAbstractPointcut() : <what_would_advice_spec_be_here> && if(false;

Regards,

- Ken

PS: it's probably a design smell in the first place to have abstract pointcuts that sometimes have no applicable concrete implementation, but that's another matter. :-)

Back to the top