Re: [aspectj-users] String Trimming anyone???

#: Ron DiFrango changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  9/15/2005 10:27 PM :#
All,
I am working with a database [DB2] where the fields are padded with spaces and I want to strip them on when I set the values in my DTO. So I created the following aspect: privileged aspect CaptureStringSets {
 before(String val): set(* dto..*.*) && args(val) {
        System.out.println("Before[" + val + "]");
        val = val.trim();
        System.out.println("After[" + val + "]");
    }
}
Test Program: public class TestDBUtils {
  // TODO Auto-generated method stub
  ApproveHeaderTO to = new ApproveHeaderTO();
  to.setVendorName("Ron's Aspect Company       ");
  System.out.println("{" + to.getVendorName() + "}");
 }
}
It properly captrues the join points, but the output is as follows: Before[Ron's Aspect Company ]
After[Ron's Aspect Company]
{Ron's Aspect Company }

I am wondering why the change to the String is not taking affect, it is like a pass by value/reference thing, but I am not sure why. Anyone else create such a monster?
BTW I thnk this would be a good re-usable aspect if we can get it working.

Ron

Not sure why this is may happen, but try watching if the same string instance is manipulated (print some hashCode()).

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|