Re: [aspectj-users] OT, just slightly: How long is a piece of string? How big's a unit?

Esther,
I am going to be of no help, but am doing some graduate research in the area of
test patterns for AO design patterns.  If you get any replies on AOP testing
(unit or otherwise) I would appreciate you forwarding them to me.
Looking forward to your column.  When will it be published?

Thanks,

Walt Scott

Quoting Esther Schindler <esther@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I'm working on my monthly column for Software Test & Performance
> magazine, and I'd like your input. The topic, this time around, is unit
> testing (using Aspect-J or anything else). Care to share some of your
> hard-won knowledge with your peers?
>
> In particular, what I'm looking for are experiences and advice about
> _developing_ the unit tests. (Managing and running them is something
> else again.) How big is a unit? How granular do you get? Do you have a
> particular process or checklist that you follow: ensuring that your
> tests look at interface, UI, etc.? Do you make a particular effort to
> create unit tests for the boundary conditions?
>
> Anecdotes are, of course, enthusiastically encouraged. Tell me what you
> learned the hard way about unit testing. What mistakes have you seen
> others make? What would you teach someone about the process that might
> otherwise come only with experience?
>
> On quoting you: My editors hate it when I quote "pookie-boy, whom I met
> on some newsgroup." Please let me know -- privately if necessary -- how
> I may refer to you in my article. (The usual format is "Kim Jones, a
> programmer at BigCompany, Inc. in Denver, Colorado.")
>
> I'll be working on this over the next several days, so I look forward
> to hearing from you soon.
>
> Esther Schindler
> Contributing editor, Software Test & Performance magazine (stpmag.com)

Back to the top