Re: [aspectj-users] Don't pass go --> AspectJ Idioms for Aspect-Oriented Software Construction

Hugh,

I suspect that many introductory articles on AOP you have found on-line have not been much satisfactory or convincing. The problem that the AOP potential is easily misused and misunderstood (hence, most developers - including me some time ago - hardly see something useful beyond simplistic development aspects such as logging). I believe that the following article reveals some idioms on how to achieve most of the AOP potential.

AspectJ Idioms for Aspect-Oriented Software Construction

"The way how aspect-oriented features are applied has a direct impact on how reusable aspects are and how easy they can be applied to other object-oriented programs. Hence, the application of aspect-oriented language features must follow deliberate design decisions and cannot be used ad-hoc."

http://dawis.informatik.uni-essen.de/site/site/publications/papers/aop/2003_HSU_AspectJIdioms_EuroPLOP_2003.pdf

Also for real-world samples on how to apply most GoF design patters, explore this wonderful research project.

Design Pattern Implementation in Java and AspectJ

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/spl/projects/aodps.html
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/spl/papers/2002/oopsla02-patterns.pdf

Indeed, its distribution has 2 implementations: in pure Java and AspectJ. You can then compare them to make solid arguments of adopting AOP. For instance, see the Observer Protocol for a head start! You'll be amazed, trust me!

Caveat: these implementations are still based on pre-Java 5, so they could be modified to include Java 5 and AspectJ 5 features though.

A note to AOP folks, do you also have similar resources Hugh, me, and others should know about too?

Hope this helps,
Dmitri

Hugh McBride wrote:

I came accros aspectj and aop when researching an inhouse problem
several months
ago.  I tried to use aspects for the project but it only solved part of
my problem so I had to abandon it for something else. But I did realise that there is great potential in the use of aspects. However am having a hard sell with it as other developers in the company only see it being used for logging. Are there any
articles , examples
experts I could refernce to give more weight to my argument of adopting
aop going
forward

Hugh McBride