[aspectj-users] It's a whole new genre.... announcing the AspectJ 5 M2 *candidate* build

Always keen to break new ground, the AspectJ team are pleased to announce a whole new genre of builds: milestone candidates. These are just like release candidate builds, except when they're done they become milestone builds rather than releases :). We believe we've met all of our objectives for AspectJ 5 M2 and have made available a milestone candidate build which you can download as:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/ajdt/dev/aspectj-DEVELOPMENT-20050324155000.jar

(this is also linked as the "Last Known Good Developer Build" from the AspectJ downloads page).

We're calling it a milestone *candidate* for two reasons - one is that the auto-build uploading was broken for a period following some updates to the Eclipse.org infrastructure services, and hence we haven't had the usual level of user testing over the last couple of weeks from all the folks who follow our published builds. The second reason is that Andy & I are both going on holiday (independently!) for the next week, starting tomorrow, so we won't be here to pick up the pieces if anything unexpected happens.  If there are no major surprises when we get back, we'll release M2 proper.

We're aware that M2 is a little later than we had originally hoped. The latter half of February and into March had far too much travel (conferences, consultancy, training etc.) and we weren't able to absorb it without impacting the schedule. We're operating a "stay-at-home" policy through April so that we can make a real injection of progress on M3. Priorities for the M3 release including upgrading the JDT compiler version to the Eclipse 3.1M6 level, implementing full generics support for aspect members, and integrating our initial support for the annotation-based development style as documented in the AspectJ 5 Developer's Notebook. We also have a number of bugs and enhancements marked as "target 1.5.0 M3" in bugzilla if you're interested in following progress.

The changes in AspectJ 5 M2 since M1 are numerous, and the highlights are listed below. The AspectJ 5 Developer's Notebook has been updated to reflect the updates. So many people have contributed ideas, suggestions, and bug reports to M2 that it's impossible to list you all - but you know who you are, so thank you. Come 1.5.0 final we'll put together a roll-of-honor :)

Highlights in AspectJ 5 M2:

* Full source compilation of Java 5 programs (with the "-1.5" option)
* New Xlint warning when advice does not affect any join points (and the @SuppressAjWarnings annotation to suppress it) (-1.5 only)
* @this,@target,@args forms changed from @this(@Foo) to @this(Foo)
* Full support for annotation binding as context in @this, @target, @args, @annotation, @within, @withincode
* Declare annotation (declare @field, declare @method, declare @constructor, declare @type)
* Declare soft does not soften runtime exceptions
* pertypewithin instantiation model
* performance improvements resulting in reduced compilation times
* aspectpath has been extended to accomodate directories as well as jar/zip files
* many, many bug fixes

For examples of some of the new features in action check the following links:

* http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blogs/adrian/2005/03/hacking_with_ha.html
* http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blogs/adrian/2005/03/event_driven_ar.html
* http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blogs/adrian/2005/03/ramnivas_on_ann.html
* http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blogs/adrian/2005/01/making_concurre.html