Re: [aspectj-users] aspectJ, Ant and bigger projects

Hi Andrew,

I resolved that issue by weaving into the generated JAR files, as every of our projects produces such JAR files.
(simply a <jar> task followed by a <iajc> task)

But thanks anyway,
Regards Simon.

Andrew Clement wrote:

Hi Simon,

You can build with javac then binary weave with iajc, no problem.
If you don't specify the debug option for the javac step then it
simply means that any weaving info messages you ask for during the
iajc step will be missing exact source locations.

If you were to use iajc standalone, it does offer an incremental
compilation mode, but it requires the ant task to run
continuously.

A while ago I wrote up a mechanism for how to put the two
javac/iajc tasks together such that the iajc step only executed
if the javac step had recompiled anything - but I can't for the
life of me find where I wrote it down - it was either in a post
on the list or in a bug report (Wes, can you remember? I think you
may have said it was a nice strategy and put it into the docs
somewhere?)  It basically revolved around the iajc task running
conditionally on a property being set and that property was
set based upon whether javac did anything.  However, this still
means the iajc step was doing a binary weave of everything (but
this is still faster than a full source compile of everything).

I know there are other users exercising ANT on large projects -
hopefully they can comment on how they have it set up??

cheers,
Andy.

*Simon Heinzle <simon.heinzle@xxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/03/2005 14:28
Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

	aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
	[aspectj-users] aspectJ, Ant and bigger projects

First of all thanks Alex for answering my last question.

I just got another one: I'm trying to incorporate AspectJ in a bigger
project -- the project is currently compiled using Ant and Sun javac.

What do you suggest: build everything to jar files using javac, and
weave in the aspects afterwards? (does this technique work, if javac
without debugging information is used?)

Or would you do it all with the iajc ant task? (If so, what would you
suggest to prevent recompilation of everything if Aspect Files haven't
changed? How do you prevent recompilation of everything if only a few
(Java only) files have changed?

Thanks a lot,
Simon