Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ 1.x language and AspectJ 5 annotations: which style should I use

> should I use Aspject 5
> annotations or use AspectJ 1.x. styled pointcut syntax in
> the project?.

(my .02)

By annotations I understand putting the aspects in
annotations
(like AspectWerkz) rather than directly in source files.
(Either way, Java 5 annotations can be picked out in
pointcuts, declared in inter-type declarations, etc.)

Annotation-style is just starting to be supported, so I'd
imagine that you would start with code-style, to avoid any
wrinkles in the initial support, unless you preferred the
way annotation-style programs are built.

Whether you use annotation-style or code-style, the
syntax of the program is the same.

-- annotation style aspects
- can compile using javac,
  but have to post-process with ajc
- not supported until AspectJ 5 release,
  and even then not tested as much as code-style
- not clear when IDE support for writing annotation-style
  aspects will be available

-- code-style aspects
- must compile with ajc, though you can write
  aspect libraries and weave with javac-compiled code
- two+ years of support
- Good IDE support for code completion,
  viewing structure, etc.

hth - Wes

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:24:31 +0800
 "Guofeng Zhang" <guofeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> If our new project is run on JVM 5 and the project might
> start after
> April when the AspjectJ 5 is official released, should I
> use Aspject 5
> annotations or use AspectJ 1.x. styled pointcut syntax in
> the project?.
> This is our first project that uses AspectJ in its core
> component.
>

> As the developers of AspectJ 5, what do you recommend?
>

> We want to use consistent AspectJ sytanx in the future
> projects, your
> advice is appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>

> Guofeng