RE: [aspectj-users] AspectJ + Groovy?

Hi Jim,

I used AspectJ with Groovy for unit testing about 6 months ago and generally
was able to get aspects to apply to compiled Groovy code, and the Groovy
code could call on ITD's. I don't believe there was a way to implement
aspects in Groovy, and trying to weave into interpreted Groovy seemed to be
challenging (I think you'd have to weave the Groovy library and then you'd
have something like trying to weave into reflective calls in Java).

Sam Pullara also wrote a nice blog entry on an interesting use case for
combining AspectJ with Groovy for coverage tracking:
http://homepage.mac.com/spullara/rants/C1464297901/E158600668/

I think it would be great to have AOP support for Groovy, but my $.02 is
that the right level to work at is the Groovy language level, not in the
underlying compiled Java code. In particular, I think you'd want to have
pointcuts that work well for closures and dynamically defined methods. There
have been "pointcuts"(*) defined in AspectWerkz and JBoss AOP that do
something similar, like hasfield and hasmethod. In Groovy, it would be
really natural to match instances that have a given method or field...

Ron

(*) I don't think hasfield/hasmethod should be defined as pointcuts since it
breaks orthogonality. Instead, these ought to be type patterns, just like
Foo+ or annotation matching for type patterns.