[Fwd: Re: [aspectj-users] Internal compiler error "org.aspectj.weaver.BCException: Bad type name:"]

I found that the cause of the whole trouble really was the "Compiler compliance level" (Preferences > Java > Compiler) which was set to 5.0. After I downgrade it to 1.4, the problem is solved... Sorry for the confusion. Thanks!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] Internal compiler error "org.aspectj.weaver.BCException: Bad type name:"
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:59:36 -0500
From: Dmitri Mamrukov <dym@xxxxxxx>
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, the same situation. And after commenting out the body of the aspect ComparablePoint the error goes away (though I had to make sure that compilation fully completes by cleaning/rebuilding the project).

Well, I'd like to note one strangeness as well. The classpath variable ASPECTJRT_LIB would normally (after creating AspectJ projects or adding examples via File > New > Other > AspectJ > AspectJ Examples) specify the correct path <ECLIPSE_HOME>/plugins/org.aspectj.runtime_1.5.0.20050124144759/aspectjrt.jar but with a forward slash in front of <ECLIPSE_HOME>. That is, /c:/opt/eclipse/plugins/org.aspectj.runtime_1.5.0.20050124144759/aspectjrt.jar. So to facilitate compilation, I had to manually remove the forward slash by editing the classpath variable in the Project Properties.

Since you and another person (pope) assert that you don't encounter any internal compiler error, I think that it would be helpful to reinstall AspectJ, Eclipse, & AJDT and clear the workspace. Just to see what happens. Though I've not had any particular problems with playing with other aspects examples.

I have an impression that the error comes up when one or more aspects state "declare parents:" for a single class to implement some interface. Here a pre-Tiger version of implementing of the Comparable interface is used. Is there any possible problem with this? I've tried "Comparable<Point>" but it didn't work in the aspect (I guess at this moment developers are working on Tiger compatibility). However, after commenting out the body of the ComparablePoint aspect and modifying the Point class to directly implement "Comparable<Point>", it worked fine.