Re: [aspectj-users] questions about v5 M1

v5 M1 is not production ready - the new language features are still bedding in, as evidenced by all the activity on the user's lists (and thanks to everyone for all the discussions, bug reports etc. - we're running hard to try and keep up, but do really value all the feedback. I've been to Munich and back last week, and then had to move office as well so I've got a few posts I owe replies to - I haven't forgotten!).

We are planning for at least two more milestone releases - M2 will include full source compilation of Java 5 features (and a good number of people seem to be tracking the dev builds as we work towards that) which will be released inside the next fortnight. M3 will add to that generics support in pointcuts and itds, enhanced ltw support, and support for the annotation-based development style. The target for M3 is end Feb /early March.There are a bunch of smaller bits and pieces we have to get through too - depending on how things go we'll either be able to include them in M3, or we'll add an M4 milestone.

Following M4, we'll turn our attention to weeding out as many bugs as we possibly can and getting a high-quality deliverable ready for the first release candidate. I suspect we'll probably see both AspectJ 5 rc1 and AspectJ 5 rc2, following which all being well we will put out AspectJ 5 v1.5.0 final.  I'd like to have a release candidate out in time for the AOSD conference in the 3rd week of March, which probably means that AspectJ 5 final will be out sometime in April.

A useful exercise you could go through now (if you haven't already) is take a look at the load-time weaving and annotation style chapters of the AspectJ Developer's Notebook and let us know if the features we're planning on adding will meet your needs. If there's something missing, the sooner we can catch it the better!

Regards, Adrian.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Andy Kriger <andy.kriger@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

31/01/2005 18:31

Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aspectj-users] questions about v5 M1

I am starting to put AOP into a project I am working on. I produced a
proof-of-concept using Aspektwerkz v2. Now I am incorporating this
into the main codebase. Given the merger announcement, I'd like to
save myself refactoring when the combined version releases and use the
XML-style configuration that I'm using in Aspectwerkz now.

How stable and production-ready is v5 M1?
Is there a roadmap for the release date?
Does anyone have advice on this?

thx
andy