[aspectj-users] Output statistics for time contributed by each aspect to the weave

Hi,

As a way of understanding weave-time performance, I was wondering if it
would be possible to extract the amount of time each aspect contributes to
the total weave time, along with the total number of join points shadows
affected by that aspect. I think this would help teams such as mine
understand when they are using aspects that affect (way) more than the
intended number of join point shadows, and help us experiment with
alternative formulations that result in less weave-time impact. It may also
help us acknowledge and accept that certain aspects (tracing) affect a lot
of code, and thus weigh heavily on build times. This may help us move these
auxiliary aspects to load-time weaving.

Keep in mind that although incremental compilation helps, and I've raised a
couple of bugs to improve its intelligence, when editing pointcuts full
recompiles are necessary. This can make working with aspects very
difficult, and tools to help reduce the compilation time even by 30 or 40%
could be a big help.

I'm happy to enter this in Bugzilla, but I thought I'd ask about it on the
users' list first.

Cheers,
Nick

Back to the top