Re: [aspectj-users] load-time weaving plans?

Matthew,

Thanks for your help.  Can you comment on what is happening with the incremental compilation?  I know you have made a lot of improvements, but I'm still gun-shy from earlier versions where, even with the incremental compile turned on, compile was relatively slow, and some things like deleting a file would trigger a full build.  This can make synchronizing and refactoring painful.

I understand that the LTW means a run-time penalty and restricts us to the auxilliary aspects, but I'm still struggling to get buy-in from other teams.  As I say, the run-time penalty isn't that high and it is more than made up for the time saved during development.  I thought it might make it more attractive to some teams by lowering the bar to entry.

cheers,
-adrian.
--
Adrian Powell
Centre for IBM e-Business Innovation :: Vancouver

Matthew Webster <matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/27/2005 03:12 AM

Please respond to
aspectj-users

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [aspectj-users] load-time weaving plans?

Adrian,

The first thing to point out is that while the AW and AspectJ projects have
merged along with their contributors and communities the code bases
(largely for licensing reasons) have not. The experience of LTW which Jonas
and Alex have brought with them has made a tremendous contribution to the
AspectJ 5 specification, most of which has already been prototyped and is
in the process of being committed in time for the March final release.

To answer your question improving weaving performance during development
the best solution is to use incremental compilation
(http://eclipse.org/ajdt/whatsnew120M2/). That way you get the advantage of
all the structure information (Outline, Cross Reference and Visualiser
views). We are planning LTW support for AJDT but you have to pay the
weaving cost some time i.e. when you run the program. This approach may be
more appropriate for optional infrastructure aspects i.e. tracing.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Adrian Powell <apowell@xxxxxxxxxx>@eclipse.org on 27/01/2005 05:26:57

Please respond to aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx