Re: [aspectj-users] instance tracking example in dev notebook

That's a good spot, thank-you. I've updated the chapter in CVS.

Guess that's the problem with documenting code that you can't compile and
test yet!

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Tim Peierls <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
14/12/2004 22:51
Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-users] instance tracking example in dev notebook

The instance tracking example in the developer's notebook at

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/~checkout~/aspectj-home/doc/ajdk15notebook/pertypewithin.html

is very cool, but it should use WeakHashMap<T, Boolean> internally rather
than
Set<WeakReference<T>>. As it stands, null references will hang around
forever.
I know it's just an illustration, but I bet lots of folks will copy it
blindly.

   public aspect InstanceTracking<T> pertypewithin(org.xyz..*) {

       private Map<T, Boolean> instances = new WeakHashMap<T, Boolean>();

       after() returning(T t) : execution(new(..)) {
           instances.put(t, true);
       }

       public Set<T> getInstances() {
           return instances.keySet();