[aspectj-users] aUnit, major challenges and requests for comments

Hi everyone,

Further to the recent postings on creating a Unit Testing tool for AspectJ, here's a brief description of the challenges in creating aUnit as I have capturing them so far.

The current plan is to use create a framework based on the popular xUnit architecture, upon which JUnit is based. There are however some essential and 'would like' challenges that are unique to creating an equivalent unit testing capability for AspectJ. This rough list has been collated from the initial postings to the aspectj-users mailing list with quotes where required.

Major Challenge One: How to specify tests for Pointcut logic ... without using pointcut logic and/or without requiring a test to be complex and closely coupled to an application.

Major Challenge Two: 'Automatically' providing mock environments in which to test aspects in isolation

Major Challenge Three: Visualisation of testing results so that corrections can be easily made/tweaked

So that's the major problems as I have them right now. What about solutions? I'm hoping to have some ideas drafted today as to how to hit some or all of these challenges. I know some of you have posted suggestions in the past, it would be great if you could post those suggestions again with any more thoughts you may have had in the interim.

In the meantime, and indeed at any point in the process if anyone has suggestions to add, either to the challenges or the solutions, then please post to this list or email me directly at russellmiles@xxxxxxx. I am working this project as part of my MSc Dissertation in collaboration with two other members of the community who have expressed an interest in the tool. If anyone else can offer help, advice or just plain constructive criticism then please either post directly to me or this list - it will all help make this a useful addition to AspectJ.

I'm also setting up a draft web site that I'll use to plot the development of aUnit before the hoped for inclusion within the AspectJ tools. Once I have that site up and running then I'll post to this list to let everyone know where they can pick up on the latest information on aUnit's progress.

Cheers,

Russ

Back to the top