Re: [aspectj-users] Unknown AspectJ Error Message

Perhaps it is a bug where the compiler does not recognize
the equivalence of the "this" PCD/nested type in applying
this rule (from the programming guide):
-----------------
The most important rule is that all the pointcut parameters
must be bound at every join point picked out by the pointcut.
So, for example, the following pointcut definition will
result in a compilation error:

  pointcut badPointcut(Point p1, Point p2):
      (target(p1) && call(void setX(int))) ||
      (target(p2) && call(void setY(int)));

because p1 is only bound when calling setX, and p2 is only
bound when calling setY, but the pointcut picks out all of
these join points and tries to bind both p1 and p2.
-----------------

It seems like the implementation is prohibiting an alternative
binding, even when it is semantically the same, because it is
also matching.  (I'd think the applicable rule would be that
the same parameter cannot be bound by two PCD's at a join
point, to avoid ambiguity in where the value came from.
But there would be an exclusion (not enforced here) when the
PCD's are identical.)

Here it should be possible to staticly distinguish the
one-arg from the two-arg case in the two forks of the
pointcut.  But I wonder about the pointcut

  execution(public void DoubleMetaphoneResult.append(..))
  && args(param_0, ..)

which should pick up both execution join points.

Does it work if instead it uses (generates) this?

-------
 execution(public void DoubleMetaphoneResult.append(..))
 && this(refObj)
 && (args(param_0) || args(param_0, char))
-------

[todo: there's no discussion on point in the semantics
section of the programming guide]

Wes