Re: [aspectj-users] announcing abc 1.0.0

Congratulations to the abc team on achieving this significant milestone.

The existence of abc is great news for AspectJ users. Our interactions
with the abc team have helped to improve the AspectJ semantics
documentation, and to identify and fix a number of ajc bugs as we worked
through these issues - thus creating a more robust and accurate ajc
compiler too. The abc team also identified a number of performance-related
bugs in ajc, and piloted fixes in the abc compiler. Several of these fixes
have made their way into the ajc codebase and are included in the AspectJ
1.2.1 release.

With a strong research team working on both compilation enhancements for
the AspectJ language, and experimenting with potential extensions to the
language itself, we look forward to many more contributions from abc
making their way into ajc in the future.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Oege de Moor <Oege.de.Moor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
22/10/2004 12:31
Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-users] announcing abc 1.0.0

We are pleased to announce the availability of abc 1.0.0,
an extensible, optimising compiler for the full AspectJ
language.

abc is available under the GNU Lesser General Public
License (LGPL) from the following website:

  http://aspectbench.org

For developers, abc offers:
 - alternative error messages
 - fast code
 - support through email lists
   and public bugzilla

For researchers, abc offers:
 - an extensible frontend based
   on Polyglot
 - an extensible backend based
   on Soot
 - an ideal platform for experiments
   with new features and optimisations

This is the first public release of abc, and it fixes many
bugs in earlier pre-releases. It has much benefited from the
advice of the AspectJ language designers, in particular
Adrian Colyer, Erik Hilsdale, Jim Hugunin and Gregor Kiczales.
We are also grateful to the authors of Polyglot for their
assistance, in particular to Stephen Chong and Nate Nystrom.

Full credits for authorship of abc 1.0.0 itself can be found
on the above website.

There is a low traffic, moderated mailing list where future
updates of abc will be announced:

    abc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To join this list, send an email to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with 'subscribe abc-announce' in the body.

Enjoy!

   The abc team.