Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ and WebSphere

I don't have compelling direct experience with WebSphere, but here are
some existing answers and resources, in case you haven't seen them:

wrt J2EE generally, the FAQ item on AspectJ and J2EE is old but still valid.
The main thing to remember is that aspects are valid in a namespace,
and AspectJ does nothing special to manage across RMI bridges.  So if the
scope of your aspect is just within the container, it should work easily;
and for cross-container aspects, some people have considered the
issues with serializable aspects, etc. and gotten things to work.
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/aspectj-home/doc/faq.html#q:aspectjandj2ee
(ignore the comment about safe prefixes)

wrt ease of deployment, load-time weaving is good if your aspects
don't change much and you would like to avoid modifying the
build/deployment system.  However, during development many people
prefer to have all the sources available, or to use the latest
AJDT when weaving binaries, to get complete support for compiler
and weaving messages.  (How well this works with the existing
Eclipse WSAD support I'll leave to the AJDT guys.)

wrt runtime performance, AspectJ should run as as fast or faster than
the equivalent solution when hand-coded.  We haven't seen cases
where this wasn't true, except when the aspects were poorly written.

wrt compile/weave performance, we are making incremental progress.
The best discussion of advice weaving performance is in Erik and Jim's
paper (http://hugunin.net/papers/aosd-2004-cameraReady.pdf); the short
story is that you can reduce weave time a lot with some care in your
pointcuts (use within(..)), the weaver won't have to munge every class.

Most people start with unpluggable aspects, that other parts of the
system don't depend on.  Logging can clearly be this way, and some
forms of exception handling are, too.  It's very useful to be able
to run with and without aspects until you have your development,
build, and deployment systems configured as you like.

hth - wes