Re: [aspectj-users] array pointcuts?

Hi Wes,

You are right of course. It's not that I was asking for array pointcuts
as a new feature, it was more my surprise that they don't exist already,
and I wondered if there might be future plans to include them.
That said, perhaps my use case is mildly interesting for others. I am evaluating
AspectJ as a tool to enforce policies on untrusted dynamically loaded code.
WeavingClassLoader works really well! I am very pleased with how
quickly I can prototype different restrictions. One of the policies I'm looking
at is restricting mutation of arrays, and that is where my question came from:
there is no way to make pointcuts on array read/write access.
Again: it is not a major issue for me, and otherwise there is always the
source available :-)

Cheers,
Mark

> Hi Mark -
>
> Most useful when asking for a new feature is a compelling
> use-case.  It's safe to say at this point that many features
> have been considered and rejected, typically not because they
> couldn't be implemented, but because the increased power
> wasn't worth the complexity and confusion given the limited
> value of the use-case.
>
> One test (that this case may or may not pass) is that
> the feature should behave the same after minor edits that
> programmers would take as being identical, so the aspect
> doesn't change accidentally.
>
> Wes

Back to the top