Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ BCEL question

We switched recently (post 1.2.0) because BCEL crops up in so many places
(including inside some JDKs we have discovered) that some users were
hitting classpath problems by picking up a version of BCEL other than the
one that AspectJ is built against. This was a problem because AspectJ has
some of its own modifications to the BCEL source (a few bug fixes, and
some performance enhancements) and picking up other versions of the
classes could cause NoSuchMethodErrors and the like.

So ironically in your case, the reason is that we needed to support people
who have two (or more) BCELs floating around :)

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

"Larry Zhou" <lzhou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
13/09/2004 19:50
Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

<aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[aspectj-users] AspectJ BCEL question

Hi everybody,

I noticed that AspectJ uses BCEL on its own. Why was that? Why doesn't
AspectJ use BCEL directly?

Like:
import org.aspectj.apache.bcel.generic.InstructionFactory;

Not the one directly from bcel like this:
import org.apache.bcel.generic.InstructionFactory;

The reason is that, I am using BCEL in my project and I really don't
want to have two BCELs floating around.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Larry