RE: [aspectj-users] AJDT Compiles

I might have stumbled upon a possible clue to this (or situations like
it). I was working with a project that generated an outjar, which a second
project then used on its aspectpath (and the jar was also in its java
build path). I hit a scenario whereby compiling the library project
appeared to be successful, *BUT*, the new classes I had added did not make
it into the jar. After discovering this, I tried to delete the jar to
force a recreate - *but Eclipse was unable to delete it*. This implies to
me that there is a nasty silent failure mode whereby somewhere in eclipse
(or in a launched program, but I didn't have one in this scenario)
something has a handle on the jar file, and we therefore fail to write to
it but don't detect that fact. This would explain both the behaviour that
I saw and that Ron is seeing.  The first thing we should do is detect this
: we should try to delete a jar before writing it, and if wef ind that we
can't, we should fail with a good error message. The second thing we
should do is try and figure out who's got a handle and why so that we can
succeed a lot more often....

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

"DiFrango, Ron" <ron.difrango@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/08/2004 15:26
Please respond to
aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

"'aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [aspectj-users] AJDT Compiles

Matt,

Here is a quick description of how I have MyEclipse setup:

1) Enterprise  Application Project [MyEclipse]
2) Web Project, but no source code [MyEclipse]
3) aspecjt project

The aspectj project contains all my source code and it compiles the code
into a linked directory which ends up in the Web Project's WEB-INF/classes
directory.  As I mentioned below, in addition to my source files, I have
an
InJar that I am weaving some code into along with my source code.

It really seems to be intermittent.  The concrete scenario I can come up
is
as follows:

1) Compile and weave my source project
2) Introduce a new aspect that only affects my code.
3) Compile and weave again

Deploy my code to my app server [Jboss] and when I do the new code breaks
because it is not woven correctly.

Thanks,

Ron