Re: [aspectj-users] Newbie question on inter-type member declarations

Hi, Wes,

Thanks a lot for your answer and your suggestions! I have a couple of follow-up questions though, if you don't mind.

[Wes]
Your case is classic generative programming, of applying a rule to create code.  AspectJ if anything is moving away from that.

As mentioned before I'm new to AOP, and that's probably why this statement puzzles me a little. Because I thought AspectJ was exactly that: applying rules (pointcuts) to generate code (advice)...?

[Wes]
ITMD's since AspectJ 1.1 have their type resolved at compile-time, mainly to support incremental weaving.

Sounds like a good idea to do as much as possible at compile-time. But I can't see why the ITMD types can't be resolved at compile time in my case?

[Wes]
We thought that it would be better to strongly separate generative programming from AspectJ than to continue or expand support for it.

Do you (or anybody else) know if there are any generative programming tools available with IDE integration (preferably Eclipse)?  (Btw, I really like the Eclipse integration of AspectJ! I just tried setting a breakpoint inside an advice, which worked smoothly. Nice!)

Best regards,

Are Meisfjord

Back to the top